We are looking for a Director of South-South Cooperation and Head of Africa Office to be based at the EDCTP Office in Cape Town, South Africa. The Director of South-South Cooperation and Head of Africa Office , under the supervision of the Executive Director, will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Africa Office, and coordinating all executive and administrative tasks and functions for the EDCTP programme that are most effectively and efficiently conducted from an African location. These include having overall responsibility for liaising and building on partnership initiatives with the African political leadership, policy makers, product development partnerships (PDPs), like-minded funding agencies and foundations, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), pharmaceutical industry, and the scientific community.
Duties and responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of the Director of South-South Cooperation and Head of Africa Office will include, but not limited to the following:
- Day-to-day management of the Africa Office including the management of staff
- Assisting the Executive Director in ensuring timely implementation of all EDCTP activities requiring south-south cooperation and scientific input
- Identifying and fostering collaboration between African participating states’ research funding agencies and institutions to achieve or exceed the cofunding targets set out in the European Union decision on second programme of EDCTP
- Putting in place strategies that promote further integration of EDCTP African participating states’ national programmes of research, particularly in clinical research on poverty-related and neglected infectious diseases
- Working with EDCTP African participating states to put in place systems and processes that will ensure timely and accurate preparation of annual work plans
- Liaising with the focal points of African participating states to ensure they fulfil their cofunding commitments to EDCTP
- Building strong and effective partnerships with other public and private sector funding bodies including industry, Product Development Partnerships (PDPs), Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and other like-minded funding agencies and foundations
- Preparing and presenting advocacy plans and reports to the General Assembly and the Board
- Working closely with the African High Representative to develop and implement an integrated strategy for promoting EDCTP and raising funding from African participating states, industry, NGOs, PDPs and like-minded organisations
- Raising the profile of EDCTP as an important funder of clinical trials research amongst the African political leadership, policy makers and relevant stakeholders
- Representing EDCTP individually, with the African High Representative or as part of a senior management delegation at major events and meetings
- Working closely with the EDCTP Communications team to develop a communications toolbox and strategy to facilitate advocacy and promotional initiatives and events
- Planning of events, including conferences, forums, and stakeholder meetings in Africa
- Overseeing all activities covered under the Hosting Agreement signed with Medical Research Council of South Africa, the hosting institution
- Any other tasks, duties or specific assignments which may arise as directed by the Executive Director.
EDCTP offers a highly competitive salary package commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The employee will be based at the EDCTP Office in Cape Town, South Africa.
The EDCTP is characterised by a multicultural work environment and English is the official language.
Applications including a letter of motivation and CV should be submitted to: recruitment[at]edctp.org by midnight Monday, 21 December 2015. Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted for interviews. If you do not hear from us within 12 weeks of the closing date of this advert, please consider that your application has not been successful on this occasion.