The EDCTP Association is the dedicated implementation structure for the second EDCTP programme (EDCTP2; 2014-2024). It was established under Dutch law in order to enable sub-Saharan African countries to become members of the EDCTP Association, together with all countries associated to Horizon 2020, the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation. The EDCTP Association consists of:
- A governing body, the General Assembly, in which all Members (also the Participating States), Aspirant Members and Observers are represented
- The Board, which supervises the Secretariat on behalf of the General Assembly
- An executive body, the Secretariat, which is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Association.
The members of the Association appoint one authorised representative and one or more deputy or alternate representatives to the General Assembly.
The General Assembly has final and exclusive decision-making power as stipulated in Article 9 of the Articles of Association.
At least five GA representatives are appointed by the General Assembly to the Board of the Association, which is entrusted with the management of the Association.
Membership of the EDCTP Association
Membership of the EDCTP Association is regulated by the Articles of Association and is open to:
• Sovereign States from the European Union (EU)
• Other sovereign States associated to the EU’s Framework programme for research, technological development and demonstration activities (Horizon2020)
• Sovereign States from sub-Saharan Africa
• (Groups of) institutions specifically mandated for this purpose by the aforementioned States
• Alliances of sovereign States and/or mandated institutions from the EU, and
• Alliances of sovereign States and/or mandated institutions from sub-Saharan Africa.
Member countries of the EDCTP Association
The 15 African members of the Association or Participating States are: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Congo, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
The 14 European members of the Association or Participating States are: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Member countries of the EDCTP Association are also called Participating States.
*The photo above shows the representatives at the May 2017 General Assembly meeting.
Strategic Advisory Committee
The Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) is the principal advisory body to the EDCTP Association and EDCTP-EEIG (in liquidation). It comprises a panel of independent scientific experts that provide strategic and scientific advice to the General Assembly and Secretariat as well as oversight of the scientific integrity of the EDCTP programmes.
See more: members of the Scientific Advisory Committee.
- Articles of Association (amended 30/03/2017)
European Participating States
- EDCTP Strategic Business Plan 2014-2014 (PDF; December 2016)
- Strategic Business Plan (PDF; extended version updated 10/06/2016)
- Decision No 556/2014/EU (15/05/2014)
- Council Decision (2013/743/EU) establishing the specific programme implementing Horizon 2020 (03/12/2013)
- Legislative proposal (10/07/2013)
- Note of the Belgian Presidency (18/11/2010)
- Procurement Policy and Procedures Manual (01/12/2014)
- EDCTP Code of Conduct and Declaration of Interests Policy (18/12/2013)
- Whistle-blowing Policy (05/08/2015)
- Fraud Response Policy (05/08/2015)
- Risk Management Manual (05/08/2015)
Advocacy and communications
- EDCTP Communication strategy (10/06/2016)