European Commission presents next research & innovation framework ‘Horizon Europe’
The European Commission (EC)published its proposal for Horizon Europe, a €100 billion research and innovation programme, on 7 June 2018. The proposal is part of the next European Union long-term budget. Horizon Europe 2021 – 2027 will succeed Horizon 2020 and is expected to be launched on 1 January 2021.
The programme maintains a strong focus on fundamental science with the largest budget line for the European Research Council. A new element is research funding oriented to ‘missions’, to be defined – as clear as ‘a man on the moon’ – in dialogue with wider audiences of countries, experts and stakeholder groups the mission-oriented missions.
Secondly, the new Innovation Council will also play a role, as Commissioner Carlos Moedas explains in a Horizon 2020 magazine video interview. Funding through the Innovation Council aims to bring the most promising ideas from lab to real world application and support the most innovative start-ups and companies to scale up their ideas.
The website of the European Commission has much background information:
- EC Press release: EU budget: Commission proposes most ambitious Research and Innovation programme yet
- EC webpage: Horizon Europe – the next research and innovation framework programme
- EC Factsheet: EU Budget for the future Horizon Europe
- EC webpage: Mission-oriented policy for Horizon Europe
- Horiozn 2020 magazine: Interview with Carlos Moedas Horizon Europe will connect the public to European science
- See also EC webpage on the European Innovation Council (EIC) Pilot
Update 14 June 2018
- The ERA LEARN 2020 Newsletter no 7 (June 2018) (download page for PDF) contains information on the revised approach to European partnerships under Horizon Europe