EDCTP is looking for up to seven new members to join the SAC which will comprise up to 17 members (the Chair, two Vice-Chairs and up to fourteen ordinary members). Appointments to the SAC are for a three-year period, which may be extended once for a further two years. SAC members shall serve in their personal capacity, representing a broad range of disciplines encompassing all aspects of clinical trials in poverty-related diseases (PRDs) in sub-Saharan Africa within EDCTP’s mandate. Experts should have skills, knowledge, expertise and standing in one or more of the following fields:
- PRDs in the scope of EDCTP2, especially in TB, malaria, lower respiratory tract infections, diarrhoeal diseases, co-infections and co-morbidities
- Public health (including epidemiology, biostatistics, health economics, maternal and child health, social and behavioural sciences, implementation research)
- Clinical trials and clinical research, especially in sub-Saharan Africa
- Product development and clinical regulatory affairs
- Post registration safety and effectiveness programmes
- Research capacity strengthening and training
The Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) is the principal advisory group to EDCTP, providing strategic and scientific advice to the EDCTP General Assembly and the Executive Secretariat (SEC) as well as oversight of the scientific integrity of the EDCTP programme. The SAC assists the SEC in ensuring that the EDCTP2 annual work plans are developed in the context of global activities and take into account the dynamic state of product development pipelines, and the national plans, needs and priorities of the African and European EDCTP member states.