The objectives of the stakeholder meeting on HIV/AIDS were to:
- Review the current status in the field of HIV/AIDS
- Identify the key research areas, current opportunities and barriers to progress.
Participants at the meeting included researchers from academia, representatives of product development partnerships (PDPs) and pharmaceutical industry, policy makers, funding agencies and other like-minded organisations.
Amongst the topics to be discussed are:
- Building partnerships to conduct large scale Phase III and IV trials
- Adult and paediatric treatment (clinical management, drug development and reformulation of existing drugs)
- Evaluating the impact of interventions on co-morbidities/coinfections, and on development of antiretroviral resistance
- HIV prevention research with new and existing tools
- Most-at-risk populations (MARPs)
- Capitalising on EDCTP investment in capacity strengthening and trial site requirements for conducting HIV clinical trials
Expected outcomes of the meeting
A meeting report including recommendations will be produced and published on the EDCTP website. The report will also include results from the online consultation.
The final recommendations are expected to contribute towards the EDCTP strategy for supporting the HIV/AIDS research on:
- Priority research topics for calls for proposals
- Proposals for development of cooperative projects
- Products in the pipeline for evaluation by EDCTP
- Focused capacity building initiatives
- Proposals for funding partnerships
Background reading material
- UNAIDS global report 2012
- PEPFAR blueprint: creating an AIDS-free generation
- EDCTP HIV/AIDS portfolio