The objective of the stakeholder meeting on Neglected Infectious Diseases (NIDs) was to:
- Review the current status and barriers to progress in the field of NIDs
- Identify the key research areas where EDCTP support can have maximum impact
- Highlight opportunities for European and African collaboration (North-North and North-South) that EDCTP can facilitate
- Identify possibilities for partnership with likeminded organisations.
Participants at the meeting included researchers from academia, representatives of product development partnerships (PDPs) and pharmaceutical industry, policy makers, funding agencies and other like-minded organisations.
Amongst the topics to be discussed were:
- Review of the global product portfolio for NIDs: consideration of products in post discovery translation and development pipeline
- Baseline epidemiology studies required to support evaluation of advanced products (treatment/vaccines/diagnostics) and to establish burden of disease and co-infection/co-morbidity with HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria
- Combined interventions for enhanced disease prevention and control
- Review of existing capacity and critical gaps to be bridged at trial sites/institutions for conducting clinical trials in NIDs.
Overviews of Neglected Infectious Diseases
Background reading material
- London Declaration
- Global Report for Research on Infectious Diseases of Poverty
- WHO NTD Roadmap 2012
- Report of the WHO Strategic and Technical Advisory Group for Neglected Tropical Diseases 2012
- Solomon AW, Engels D, Bailey RL, Blake IM, Brooker S, et al. (2012) A Diagnostics Platform for the Integrated Mapping, Monitoring, and Surveillance of Neglected Tropical Diseases: Rationale and Target Product Profiles. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6(7): e1746. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0001746
- PDP portfolios